Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie, pumpkin-style

Last night I got home from the gym about 7 p.m., and realized I had no meat defrosted to make dinner. I'm not so disposed to have meat in every meal, but hubby is, so there you go. Anyway, he had found some frozen cooked chicken in the freezer yesterday, so I thought, hey, I can use that. But with what?

In some fit of insanity, I had bought a bunch of fresh vegetables last weekend, even though we will probably eat with family this weekend for the holidays. So, pretty much, I have five days to use all the stuff before it rots.

I had bought kale for some unknown reason, and also had thawed a container of roasted pumpkin from earlier this year, when we had eight freaking pumpkins in the backyard. So, I decided to start with the trifecta of onion, carrots and celery, and go from there.

I was halfway through the filling when I realized I didn't have any pie crust for the top. I decided to go with a quick shortcrust pastry, which I cut up with my pastry cutter, and then tossed with cold water to blend. In hindsight, I should have beaten an egg and brushed it over the top for extra browning, but overall, it turned out all right. At least, hubby had two helpings!

This recipe is for a 9-in. square or pie pan. You can double it for a 13x9 in. pan.

Chicken-Pumpkin Pot Pie

2 T. butter
1 small onion or shallot, chopped
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
3 leaves kale, chopped
1 cup roasted pumpkin or butternut squash, cubed.
1 cup cooked chicken, cubed.
1/2 cup white wine
1 can low-fat cream of mushroom soup

Pastry
1 stick cold butter, salted
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 to 1 cup cold water

1 egg, beaten

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat skillet to medium, and melt butter. Add in onion and garlic, and saute 1-2 min. Add in carrots and celery. Saute 2-4 min. Add in pumpkin and kale. Heat on medium 5 min.

In the meantime, combine butter and flour in large bowl, and cut in with pastry cutter until you have pea-size crumbs. Add water a few tablespoons at a time, and toss with a fork until the dough comes together in a ball. Set aside.

Stir filling in skillet, and add 1/2 cup of wine. Let reduce five minutes. Chop up chicken and add. Then add cream of mushroom soup. Let simmer.

Butter 9-in. pan, and add filling. Dot with pieces of pie dough to create a rustic crust. Brush with egg.

Bake pot pie at 400 degrees for 45 min. or until crust turns a light golden brown, and filling is bubbly on the edges. Let cool 5 minutes, and serve with a green salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment