Friday, December 23, 2011

Vegetable soup

Once again, I went home racking my brain for something to make for dinner, before going to an appointment at 7 p.m. I ended up making a vegetable soup.

For something that was kind of an experiment in "how many vegetables can we use at once?" it turned out pretty well. Next time, I would add less water, and I've made that change in the recipe, below. Also, I would add some white wine, I think, and onion. Also, I used boullion cubes.

About the boullion cubes: Now, there's a lot of talk about using chicken broth with less sodium, and I totally support that, but frankly, it's cheaper to buy the cubes. I was kind of bummed out, though, that I hadn't planned this experiment in advance, as I actually HAVE homemade chicken broth in the freezer. Annoying. Speaking of cheap, btw, I used to think that broccoli in the bag was cheaper. Now, I think it's a draw between fresh and frozen. I seem to get a lot more mileage out of the fresh stuff.

Anyway, see what you think. This makes A LOT, not to be confused with Alot. This recipe will not make you one of those.

Vegetable Soup

1 T. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 cup wine
4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
3 leaves of kale, washed and chopped
2 small heads of broccoli, washed and chopped
6 boullion cubes
1 T. Greek seasoning
1-2 t. salt
1 t. fresh ground pepper
7 cups water
1/2 can evaporated milk

Saute onion and garlic in olive oil for a minute or two. Add wine and simmer 1 minute. Add vegetables, boullion cubes, seasonings and water. Bring to boil, and then turn down to simmer about 20 minutes. Turn off heat. Take your trusty immersion blender and blend the vegetables to a light chunky version of the soup. Add milk and stir.

You'll notice the lack of meat in this recipe. I served it with grilled ham and cheese sandwiches, made with deli tavern ham and shredded cheddar on whole wheat English muffins, which I hadn't made before. They. Were. Awesome. Two successful experiments in one day! Thank you, Santa!

No comments:

Post a Comment