Friday, January 6, 2012

Book club cookin': Stage 2 - cornbread and slaw

Book club always presents this dilemma for me -- clean the house and cook or read the book? So I blew off the book this time -- as did several others -- and decided to rid the living room of the post-Christmas clutter. I also made a few faves from the dilapidated pile of paper I call a recipe collection.

First up is cornbread. I used to make a different kind that was just as moist but less sweet. I think I've officially replaced that kind with my new favorite. I think this is a combination of a few recipes I found on allrecipes.com, but the biggest change I made was buttermilk -- Must. Have. Buttermilk!

Cornbread

1 1/4 cup cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 egg
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
1 stick butter, melted

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Generously butter a 9 in. square pan. In large bowl, melt butter and cool. In separate bowl, whisk dry ingredients together. Mix in buttermilk and egg with melted butter. Whisk dry ingredients into buttermilk mixture. Pour into greased pan. Bake for 20 min. Serve warm, with butter.

The other thing I made was slaw. You might call it coleslaw, but not me. Not after my experience with 'slaw.

I was probably 13, and my sister and I were in charge of making coleslaw for my confirmation party. So, we go to the store, and instead of buying cabbage, we find these bags of coleslaw mix. Awesome, we thought. We'll just get those. Only, it turns out that we can't do math at night. At least not that night. Somehow we figured that there were 3 cups in each bag, when in reality, it was more like 6 cups or even 8 cups per bag.

We drag our pile of coleslaw mix home, and start mixing it up. And that's when the cabbage shreds started to multiply. How can there be THIS MUCH? We could not figure it out. We made coleslaw for hours. For some reason, it never occurred to us to just put it in the back of the fridge, lie about what we did, or feed it to the cattle... in hindsight, all good options. So, the next day, we had every kind of coleslaw you can imagine -- vinaigrette, creamy, etc. It was Slaw Fest. We were eating 'slaw for days. And ever since then, it's been slaw.

As you can imagine, I was anti-slaw for some time. Last summer, I found a recipe for homemade dressing, and simultaneously discovered broccoli slaw mix. Eureka! Slaw Returns in Broccoli Slaw: A Homemade Miracle.

Broccoli Slaw

12 oz. package of Broccoli slaw mix, found in your local HyVee or grocery store, by the salad mix.

The dressing
1/2 cup buttermilk
6 T. mayo
3 T apple cider vinegar
1/2 t. sugar or Splenda
Fresh cracked black pepper

Whisk together and add slaw mix. Heaven!

Ideally, you'll make the pork from yesterday, put it on the cornbread from today, and top it with this 'slaw. I should admit that this combo is a take-off of Blue Cat Brew Pub's dixieland special. What can I say?

Dessert to follow!

1 comment:

  1. I'm making this cornbread ASAP - it was sooooo good!

    ReplyDelete