Monday, January 16, 2012

Stuffed pork chops

The meat counter is such an interesting place. You never can tell what will be on sale and it really can determine what your menu might look like for the week ahead.

This time around it was ground chuck, and pork chops. I found I could either get a bone-in Iowa chop for $4, or two boneless for the same price. Guess what I chose.

So, as the guy is wrapping up my stuff, I notice they sell stuffed pork chops. And I'm thinking to myself, I bet I could do that. I got home, and looked up a few recipes, and ended up making my own, although this recipe on Tasty Kitchen was a great help. I used stuffing mix, and didn't have corn, so I tweaked the whole thing.

This point really can not be made enough: Just because you don't have all the ingredients, doesn't mean you can't make a tasty meal. If you go back to the store, you're sure to break your grocery budget!

Here you go -- next time you see stuffed pork chops in your meat case, remember you can make them yourself!

Stuffed pork chops

2 Iowa boneless pork chops, about 1 1/4 inches thick
3 T. butter
1 cup stuffing mix
1 stalk celery, diced
1/4 onion, diced
2 T. milk
paprika
seasoning salt
1 beef boullion cube
1 cup water
1 T. cornstarch
2 T. water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt 2 T. butter in a skillet. Saute celery and onion in butter. Mix sauteed onion and celery, stuffing mix, milk and paprika in a small bowl. Pat pork chops dry, and cut a pocket into each. Stuff pork chops with stuffing mixture. Melt remaining tablespoon of butter in skillet. Put stuffed pork chops in skillet, and sprinkle with seasoning salt. Brown on each side.

Heat water and add boullion cube. Transfer pork chops to 9 in. square pan. Add broth. Place in 350-degree oven and bake for 30 minutes. In the meantime, mix cornstarch and water in small jelly jar.

When pork chops are done baking, transfer to a plate. Put juices into small saucepan and add cornstarch mixture. Turn heat to low and stir until thickened. Serve pork chops with sauce.

I made extra stuffing, because we really like stuffing around here, and also steamed some broccoli to go with this dish, which was pronounced "really good" by the hubby here. So, I'd recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment