Monday, March 12, 2012

Cupboard Pasta

Remember that post when I said to try and use what's in your cupboard? It often results in very interesting meals here at Casa Tiny Counter.

I had some pasta, and some grilled brats on hand, but no tomato sauce or tomatoes, and no wine, etc. It was the day before Grocery Day, and much like the day before Laundry Day, pickings were slim. If my recipe was me, it would have been wearing a suit jacket, non-matching corduroys, a t-shirt and heels with no socks. But I digress.

So, first, I boiled water for the pasta, and then I heated up a second pan with some olive oil. I sauteed an onion and five cloves of garlic. I put about half a box of bowtie pasta in the boiling water.

Once the onion and garlic were done, I threw in about a cup of chopped tomatoes, 2 small kale leaves, chopped fine, and 2 sliced cooked brats. I drained the pasta, reserving a cup, and added it to the pan. Then I had a dilemma.

Clearly this called for a sauce of some kind, but I was fresh out. I had some tomato juice, so I put in about 2 tablespoons of that. Then I threw in about 3-4 tablespoons of Dijon mustard. I added about 1/4-1/2 cup of the pasta water, and then, a bit more olive oil. It was missing something. Normally I would have added white wine, but that was out. So, I grabbed the bottle of Jameson Irish Whiskey.

Before you judge, check this recipe from The Pioneer Woman. (See? Everyone's doing it... )

So I poured in about 2 T. of whiskey and gave it a final stir. Ah! One last thing -- about 1/2 cup finely grated Pecorino Romano. Perfect.



Well, maybe not perfect. Dinner, at the very least. But not too shabby. :)

8 oz. farfalle or bowtie pasta
1 T. olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chopped tomatoes in juice
2 small kale leaves, chopped fine
2 cooked brats, sliced
2 T. tomato juice
31/2 T. Dijon mustard
1/2 cup pasta water
1 T. olive oil
2 T. whiskey
1/2 Pecorino Romano, grated

Boil pasta about 6 minutes. Saute onion and garlic in olive oil. Add remaining ingredients and simmer to thicken sauce. Top with Romano cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment