Monday, April 30, 2012

Sewing project and chocolate cake

I haven't cooked anything much lately, save for a chocolate snack cake, so instead, I've been working on a new project: Sewing a skirt.

I was led to believe I could do this myself by this website: Untrained Housewife. In one of the posts, Sarah Tennant explains how to make a paneled skirt without a pattern. She makes it sound so easy, in fact, that I actually bought the fabric. And a zipper. And this baste/bias tape stuff.

So, I wanted to check the validity of this whole thing, and on another site, I learned you have to wash and dry the fabric ahead of time, which I thought was probably a good idea. Last thing I need is another skirt that doesn't fit.

Then I measured myself, which was humbling, and set about making a pattern out of newspaper, which we keep on hand for the grill. (I think we both find it fun to burn the dregs of the places we used to work.)

I let that sit for awhile, and then on Saturday, I traced the pattern on the fabric, and cut out the panels. I was all proud until I realized I still had to cut out the panels for the skirt liner.

Then, I woke up on Sunday morning realizing I would probably have to iron the edges of the damn panels, or mark them somehow to make sure I sew them straight. Because, naturally, I am doing this without a sewing machine.

After that I guess I have to insert a zipper, attach a waistband and hem the thing. Which means I'll debut this piece of finery sometime in 2013.

Someday I would like to know why I have to make things to prove to myself why the finished product is worth the money. (See also: Beer, scarves, jewelry, canned pie filling...)

Chocolate Snack Cake
(For when your sewing projects hit a concrete wall....)

1 pkg. Pillsbury Moist Deluxe chocolate cake mix
1 15 oz. can pumpkin

Mix together. This will look all wrong, until suddenly, it morphs into a mud-like substance. Success!

Pat into a 9 in. pan with a spatula. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.

Courtesy of http://www.hungry-girl.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment