Friday, April 13, 2012

Roasted vegetable spaghetti

I wasn't even going to write a post about last night's dinner, until several co-workers commented on the scent wafting from my leftovers.

I needed a quick dinner last night. I had a customer come over to pick up some jewelry, and she and I got to talking. Pretty soon it was 615, and no dinner was in sight.

I had a mishmash of veggies in the drawer, and decided to roast them. Then I needed a quick pairing. Spagetti with roasted red pepper sauce and sausage seemed the most likely candidate.

These dishes can be served separately or together. I mixed them in a bowl, and it was a good thing. It didn't even need cheese -- although, cheese is never a bad idea!

Roasted vegetables

8-10 1.5-in. diameter Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half
8-10 small sweet peppers, trimmed and cut into 1-in. chunks
3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1-in. chunks
2 small Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
1/2 onion, peeled and cut into 1-in. chunks

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat jelly roll pan with olive oil, and sprinkle with kosher salt. Prepare vegetables. Fill pan with an even layer of veggies, and toss over another tablespoon of olive oil. Sprinkle with kosher salt and cracked black pepper. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes.

Spaghetti

1 28 oz. can Hunt's Pasta Sauce
1/4 cup bottled roasted red peppers, diced
1 brat or sausage link, cooked and sliced thin
1/4 package whole wheat spaghetti

Fill a large pot halfway with water. Sprinkle with kosher salt. Cover and turn burner on high to boil.

Put sauce, peppers and sausage in separate pot, and turn to low to heat and meld the flavors. I should mention I used a seasoned brat that we had grilled and frozen earlier in the week.

Boil pasta 6-7 minutes. Drain pasta water first into a small measuring cup, and drain the rest into the sink.

Use reserved pasta water to thin the sauce if necessary.

You'll notice the spaghetti takes a lot less time than the veggies. I started the sauce and pasta when I had about 20 minutes to go on the timer for the veggies. You can use that extra 15-20 minutes to do the dishes, shine your sink or get to that wine in the fridge that's going stale. (Don't want to waste that!) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment