Friday, May 18, 2012

Pasta and garlic bread hits the spot

I made pasta and cheesy garlic bread the other night, and while it's nothing special, I thought I would jot down how I made the sauce.

The Sauce

1 t. olive oil.
1/2 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb. ground beef, 90 percent lean
1 can Hunt's tomato sauce, 26 oz.
3 roma tomatoes, chopped
1 T. Greek Seasoning
1 t. Italian seasoning
salt and pepper

Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil and saute onion and garlic in Dutch oven until starting to brown. Push to sides.
Add ground beef and break up to brown.
Add tomato chunks and stir to heat. Add sauce and seasoning. Add salt and pepper to taste.

While sauce is simmering, boil 6 cups water, and add half a package of rotini. Cook until al dente, about 8 minutes or so. Add to sauce.

Cheesy garlic bread

I had half a loaf of sourdough french bread from Greatest Grains, a local health food store, so I thought I would make garlic bread. I cut the bread into 1-in. slices, buttered both sides, then placed them on a cookie sheet. I topped the bread with a sprinkle or two of garlic salt, then with shredded mozzarella. Bake for 5-10 minutes at 400 degrees, or until slightly browned.

I paired these with steamed broccoli and salad. This made for a pretty quick dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment