Saturday, January 19, 2013

sloppy joes, homemade

I haven't made homemade sloppy joes before. Usually I use this:

If you're in a bind, it's great sauce.

However.... I may have found something better. I've been hanging out over at Country Living, where despite the emphasis on decor, they have put together a fair amount of quick weeknight recipes. This is one of them, adapted in the usual style of "what's available in pantry".

Sloppy Joes, adapted from Country Living.

1/2 onion, diced
1/2 green pepper, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb. ground chuck
1/2 can tomato paste
1/2 t. dry mustard
1/4 t. paprika
fresh ground black pepper
salt
3/4 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup ketchup
2 T. Worcestershire sauce

Heat 1 T. olive oil, and saute onion, green pepper and garlic. Set aside. Place ground beef in the pan and brown. Drain off grease. Add remaining ingredients, and bring to boil. Turn to low and let simmer about 20-25 minutes.

I served this over toasted French bread, and let me tell you, I think the extra ketchup and green peppers made this sauce. It was pretty good. You could also add shredded Cheddar cheese on top.

As a side, I had steamed broccoli and carrots. I lost my plastic microwave steamer somewhere along the way, so now I use the old metal steamer and pan that have been sitting at the back of the cabinet. Turns out it takes about 20 minutes or so to steam those as well, on medium heat. So, combined, this is about a half-hour from prep to table. Not too shabby.

No comments:

Post a Comment