Sunday, April 21, 2013

Incredible egg cups


Do you like my fancy egg plate? 

And so, back to the usual....

Recently, I realized I never posted what I've been eating for breakfast.

I pinned this recipe on Pinterest a long time ago, and have tweaked it since to fit whatever I have on hand. It makes about 8-10 egg cups. I cool them and put them in a freezer bag, and ever since I started doing that, I have eliminated random trips to the vending machine at work and also, toaster pastries which were doing nothing for my morning!

By the way, I did try it with wheat bread, but I like it better with the crescent rolls. Probably not as healthy, though!

Egg cups

1 can reduced fat crescent rolls
1/2 onion, grated
1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 cup frozen broccoli, or chopped steamed fresh broccoli
3-4 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 t. Greek seasoning
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 375. Grease muffin tin. Divide the crescent rolls among about 8-10 cups. You don't have to cover the entire inside of the cup, just the bottom and a portion of the sides.

Mix up the remaining ingredients, and pour into the cups about 3/4 or a little more full. Have extra? You can pour it in the cup and bake it without the crescent -- just make sure the tin is well greased first.

Bake about 20 minutes. Cool 5 minutes. Turn out on wire rack. Once cooled, put in freezer bag and freeze for later. Microwaves in about 30 seconds to 1 minute.

Instead of broccoli, you can also use spinach, kale or asparagus. You can also change the type of cheese -- parmesan is great! I eat this for breakfast with fruit, or for an afternoon snack to up my protein and veggie quotient for the day. It's wonderful with coffee!

No comments:

Post a Comment