Monday, April 15, 2013

Las Vegas eats and treats

That is one honking electric bill.

Well, I just downloaded all the photos from my camera since January. So, here are a few from Las Vegas! I was there for work, but I thought I'd share what all we ate, because if there's a famous restaurant in the U.S., there is probably a facsimile in Vegas.


Pizza at Grimaldi's

First up was Grimaldi's. I hadn't heard of this place before reading Gala Darling's blog, but when I read that she cut a Grimaldi's pizza in lieu of cake for her wedding, I was intrigued. And, it was awesome. We started with the antipasti platter, and then had individual pizzas, which we could have shared with each other! Crisp crust and a fantastic tomato sauce with seasoned toppings. Excellent!

Next up was Bouchon Bakery. Now, I've heard the waffles at the Bouchon restaurant are to die for, but what I was interested in was the macarons. Call it homesickness for Paris. In any case, but raspberry and the chocolate macarons were chewy, crunchy and downright delicious. I heard later that they have a peanut butter and jelly macaron. Darn it! :)


The colorful ceiling at Senor Frog's

We bowed to convenience one night and went to Senor Frog's. That place is crazy! And they try to be! But the enchiladas are great, and they are nothing if not bent on making sure service is stellar. So, despite the crazy karaoke and dancing, it's kind of a neat place to eat. Maybe because they are crazy? :)

At the end of the week, we finished off with a short tour of the Palazzo. One great stop was Bauman Rare Books. I had just missed seeing a first edition of Pride and Prejudice (grr!), but did see some quartos from Shakespeare. It was breathtaking. Other books I saw included a hand-illustrated, hand-tied book of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter. Awesome!


It's always a bit too early in Las Vegas.

Not many people saw awesome about rare books in Vegas. But isn't that why Vegas is great? You never know what you'll find.

Anyway, from there, we went to Godiva, which I highly recommend, and then we had lunch at i"heart"burgers. I had the i"heart"bacon burger, which has a "blend of brisket and applewood-smoked bacon, crispy bacon, bacon mayo, smoked gouda and onion strings." Artery-clogging, I know. But sooooo good!

Sadly, from now on, a simple bacon cheeseburger will probably never be enough for me. But that's the kind of sacrifice I'm willing to make. So, there is a short list for your next Vegas trip! Recipes next time!



No comments:

Post a Comment