Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Chicken fajita soup

A few weekends ago, we decided to cook over the fire. Which is getting to be a bit of a habit. I sense a cookbook forming at some point, if we don't just stop this silliness... 




What I liked about this recipe was that I could prep all the ingredients ahead of time. I ended up doing that, because the weather didn't cooperate with us on the Saturday, so we ended up cooking on Sunday night. 

I liked the idea of chicken fajitas in soup form so that's what I attempted to make. You'll notice the lack of kale and seafood. It took willpower.



I think our only complaint was that the soup was too watery. I'd started with six cups of water. I'd keep it to four at most, which I've noted below. Remember that the peppers will release water, and you'll also get juice from the chicken as well. I'd also salt it well, and taste often, to see that you have enough seasoning. I also can't believe I didn't add garlic. Add garlic!

Normally I would cook the chicken ahead of time, but I think it would have made it tough. Do as you will. With a good consistent flame that touches the bottom of the Dutch oven, your soup should be boiling or at a high simmer most of the time. Our chicken cooked very fast!

Chicken fajita soup

1-2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced into strips
1 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1 shot tequila
Juice of one lime
1 onion, diced
4 peppers, one of each -- red, orange, yellow and green -- sliced into strips, then cut in half
1 pkg. baby bella mushrooms, quartered
1 15-oz. can black beans
1 4-oz. can green chiles
1 12-oz. can diced tomatoes and green chiles
4 cups chicken broth, or four cups water and four chicken boullion cubes
1 t. cumin
1 t. fajita seasoning
salt and pepper to taste

Season chicken with salt and pepper, and marinate in the lime and tequila overnight, or at least a half hour. Add to Dutch oven. Chop all vegetables, and add remaining ingredients to Dutch oven. Cook over the fire for an hour or so, checking liquid levels every 20 minutes.


Prior to cooking - pretty peppers!


No comments:

Post a Comment