Sunday, September 1, 2013

Baked oatmeal with peaches


Good morning, peaches!

It seems a basic thing, oatmeal, but this version is so much more. Oats, brown sugar, all the usual suspects, but mixed with milk and eggs, it balances on that fine line between breakfast and dessert. 

I used one peach, but wish I had used two. The tartness of the peaches set off the sweetness of the brown sugar and oatmeal perfectly. I used my usual cinnamon and sugar mix of 1 part cinnamon and two parts sugar for the topping.

(Do you have a cinnamon and sugar shaker in the pantry? If you don't have one, I highly recommend it. Sometimes, cinnamon toast will wait for no woman to mix the two -- best to have it at the ready! I used an old cinnamon container with a shaker top.)

A note on the oats: The original recipe called for quick-cooking oats. I don't usually have those on hand, so I used old-fashioned. I liked the texture, but if that's not your bag, try the quick cooking. The cooking time, etc., should be the same.

Baked Oatmeal, adapted from Taste of Home

3 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup brown sugar
2 t. baking powder
1 t. kosher salt
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
2 eggs
1 cup soy or almond milk
7 T. butter, melted
1 t. vanilla
1 peach, sliced
Cinnamon and sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter and let cool. Whisk dry ingredients in large bowl. Whisk eggs and milk in separate bowl, and add butter and vanilla. Pour egg mixture into dry ingredients, and mix well. Spoon into buttered 9-in. deep dish pie plate or 9-in. square baking pan. Top with sliced peaches and cinnamon and sugar. Bake for 40 min. Let cool 5 minutes and serve warm with additional milk, if desired.

Great with coffee! 

No comments:

Post a Comment