Thursday, November 7, 2013

Sweet potato quesadillas and homemade enchilada sauce


I've made this recipe roughly four times in the last month, which is extremely unusual. To boot, I find myself craving this particular dish, even right after I've had it.

The photo here was taken hastily before we devoured the last of this. The last few times, the meal has gone down the hatch before I remembered to take a photo. So this is my husband's plate, which I stole. You're welcome.

Anyway, this entry has a bonus recipe because I forgot to buy enchilada sauce, so I had to make some. I could have gone to the store, but my goal is to shop just once a week, so I thought, why not? Turns out? Pretty easy!




Sweet potato quesadillas

1/2 chicken breast, cooked and cubed
1 T. olive oil
1 large sweet potato, scrubbed and cut into 1/2 in. cubes
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
2-3 leaves kale, rinsed and torn into small pieces
1 1/2 c. red enchilada sauce, mild
salt and pepper
4 10-in. tortillas
2 cups Monterey Jack and/or sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

Heat a large sauce pan to medium high heat and add olive oil. Add sweet potato, and cover, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 15 min. Season with salt and pepper.




Add kale and cover for about five minutes to wilt. Turn heat to low. Add chicken and beans, and stir. Add enchilada sauce, and cover. Let cook to meld flavors.

Remove filling to a bowl, and wipe out pan. Heat and add another glug of olive oil. Add tortilla. On one half of tortilla, sprinkle a thin layer of cheese. Add 1 1/2 c. of filling. Top with more cheese and fold over tortilla.




Brown quesadilla on each side. Serve with additional cheese and sauce.


And now, the enchilada sauce. Which, by the way, was a bit spicy on its own, but it turned out great in the filling.




Enchilada sauce

2/3 of a  can tomato paste
2 t. of chicken boullion base
1 mild red chile pepper, minced
1 cup water
1 t. cumin
1/2 t. chili powder
1/2 t. cilantro
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1 pinch salt

Stir all ingredients together in a small saucepan. Heat to medium high, then simmer on medium low about 25 min., or until thickened.

This makes about a cup and a half of sauce. I used it all in the filling, but you could easily use just half and save the rest, or double it for a large pan of enchiladas.

Enjoy!!



No comments:

Post a Comment