Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Sweet potato and carrot soup


Last week, all I wanted was soup. Not something heavy, but something that would keep me warm. Apparently the layers of fleece were not doing the trick.

I was done with broth-y soups. I didn't want more tomato, after a spate of sauce-covered pasta dishes. I didn't want a thick potato soup which, while excellent, begs for bacon, cheese and other coma-inducing ingredients.

Rather, I wanted (sigh) a sign of spring in a winter soup. Also, if it could be easy, well, that would be good too. (So demanding.)

Anyway. Here it is — a soup of sweet potatoes, spring carrots, a hint of winter broth and a touch of autumn spice, all in one dish.



A note here — I used four cups of water, but you might even dial that back to 3 1/2 cups, or keep it at 4 cups and add another sweet potato. It was just a bit thin, and I think either of those changes would prevent that. Also, I put a teaspoon of pepper in my batch, and am still feeling the burn, so I've reduced it to a half teaspoon here

Sweet potato and carrot soup

All you need:

5 carrots, cut up in large chunks
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large dice
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 onion, diced
1 T. chicken base (I use Better Than Boullion)
4 cups water
1 t. cilantro
1 t. Greek seasoning
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. white pepper
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/4 t. pumpkin pie spice

All you have to do:

Put everything into a large Dutch oven. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 45 minutes. Blend with an immersion blender. Let cook another 10-15 minutes to thicken.

Once I ate this, I wished I had a sort of fresh mozzarella and tomato panini to put with it. Also, if you were of a mind, you might lace this with a topping of Parmesan and fresh basil before serving, if you had it on hand. Myself, I'd put all that in a mug and pair it with croutons.

P.S. We grilled out, finally! It was snowy and cold and glorious. I recommend getting out your grill and dragging it through the snow at your earliest convenience. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment