Monday, February 16, 2015

Chocolate oat muffins

So far, I've made these muffins about four times in the past month. As a result, when I went to make chocolate chip cookies the other day, we were out of chocolate chips and flour. I was stunned. A house without chocolate chips?? How does this happen?




For starters, this recipe. Initially found on Half Baked Harvest, I tweaked ever so slightly it to what we had on hand, and added, well, more chocolate. Shocking.




Not only are they healthy(er) than your average muffin (lots of oats!), they are easy to eat any time of day and keep well.




I used dark brown sugar because I bought some for Christmas cookies, and still have some left.




Also, when I specify vanilla, it's usually not correct, because I just sort of pour. And I'm not sure what all the Earl Gray does for the recipe, but I think it adds something. Even so, I might try coffee next time. Food for thought.




I use a large scoop to portion the batter into the muffin papers evenly, and you'll want to fill it fairly high, as it doesn't rise a whole lot.




I keep whole bananas in the freezer in copious quantities. When they thaw, you can just remove the peel and use the rest without having to mash it up very much. So, if you're using just-beyond-the-pale bananas, be sure to mash the bejeezus out of them. Depending on your banana mushiness and milk ratio, this makes 16-18 muffins. Or more.




Chocolate oat muffins

All you need:

1 c. coconut or almond milk (I've used a combination of both)
3 Earl Gray teabags
2 T. canola oil
2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 heaping tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4-1/2 teaspoon ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 egg
3 bananas
6 oz. mini semisweet chocolate chips


All you need to do:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line muffin tins with papers.

Heat the milk to a simmer, and steep the tea ten minutes. Then press the teabags agains the side before discarding, and stir. Let cool. Add 2 T. oil.

Mash bananas in small bowl, and add egg and vanilla. Set aside.

To a large bowl, add and whisk together all dry ingredients.

Pour milk mixture into bananas, and whisk well. Add wet ingredients to dry, and fold in. Add chocolate chips and mix to distribute.

Portion batter into muffin papers, and bake for 15 to 18 minutes. Mine sometimes take as long as 20 minutes.

Enjoy while rushing out the door in the morning, after a workout in the afternoon, or at night for dessert! Also, try to share with others. It will be difficult, I promise. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment