Wednesday, May 4, 2016

April Books




April went quick, with far more rain than necessary. Also, cold. Hello, spring? You can arrive any time now. Really.

Of the books I attempted this month, I only owned one. Go, go library card! Seriously, though, this was a mishmash at best. I just picked up things that looked interesting. You know, similar to how you pick out wine. (Just me?) I was about 75 percent right this time. So, here we go.

First up, Love, Loss and What We Ate, by Padma Lakshmi: Um, I had no idea who this person was until I read the book and she spelled out that she was on Food Network. But her entire story is kind of interesting. She gets extremely personal, and she mentions some super famous people. Really, this is just an exercise in how much pop culture I don't know, I guess. What I enjoyed most was the contrast of her childhood in India not only to the U.S., but also to the India of today. The description brought me into the cool marble floors of her family home and I could picture the kitchen vividly. Clearly she has a gift, not only for food, but for writing.

Lab Girl, by Hope Jahren: Did not finish, and I now have an extension at the library. Pressure's on!

Tricky Twenty-Two, by Janet Evanovich: Another excellent tome featuring Stephanie, Lula, Ranger and Morelli. Does your brain need a vacation? Preferably one filled with some donuts, crime-fighting, beer, hook-ups and family meals (not your own)? If so, this series offers the kind of brain candy you're after. Fun fact - similar to Nancy Drew, everyone gets introduced in each book, so no need to start at the beginning. Although, you might want to after reading one of 'em. A hat tip to my oldest sister for introducing me to this addiction series.

The Forgotten Room, A Novel, by Karen White, Beatriz Williams and Lauren Willig: Genius. Really loved this book, and the concept. Basically, three generations, all connected to the same family, house and the "forgotten" room in the house. Excellent story-telling, and I was hooked. Don't try to keep it all straight - it will be explained in the end. Just enjoy the journey, the drama and the unexpected ends to all three stories in one!

Do Unto Animals: A Friendly Guide to How Animals Live, and How We Can Make Their Lives Better, by Tracey Stewart: Whoa, is that title a mouthful! But the book is much easier to swallow, and had a wealth of information on how to "read" cat and dog behavior, how to handle wildlife and things we all can do to make the wild world we inhabit a better place. This might be a book I buy, as I have things I want to refer to later, actually. Also, yes, this is the Tracey Stewart that is married to Jon Stewart, and they have a ton of animals. Also, bonus, the illustrations by Lisel Ashlock are gorgeous!

The Bee-Friendly Garden, by Kate Frey and Gretchen LeBuhn: Um, I really wanted to read this - we just released mason bees in the yard (more about that inspiration here) and I was interested in what flowers we should plant. This book has all that and more... in really, really, really small, gray type. I mean, I got a headache just trying to read it. The signs of age... they are all around us. I'm sure, if you can read it, though, that it's lovely...

The Artist's Way, by Julia Cameron: This has been around forever, and I've had this forever, and just on a whim, I picked it up the other day. Have already started Morning Pages, and making Time to Create, and it's clear that in the remaining 80 percent of the book there is far more to learn and appreciate. Looking forward to the rest of the book.

So that's it. In the meantime, we've planted all the plants in all the places, and will blog about that and our trip. In which we took the most gorgeous photos by sheer coincidence. Haven't been writing a whole lot, since I injured my wrist(s) about a month ago, so this is about enough for me! Am doing exercises, and seeing the chiro, so will be back at it soon. :) 




No comments:

Post a Comment